Friday, May 11, 2012

Missing You and Hamstrings







I missed you all!
I woke up on Thursday, made my shake and got my supplements and sat down at my MAC in the living room and nothing…. Zip.
It was my first day where I didn’t have a blog post that uploaded, it was weird,  it didn’t feel good.
I usually sit down and check the stats and then read the responses. My readers send personal emails, respond on the blog posts and private message in Facebook or reply to the Facebook posts.  I enjoy talking with you all, I like the interactions.
I felt sort of, alone. I also felt like I let you down.
When I posted that I wouldn’t be writing every day I was surprised at how many responses I got- people completely understood my reasoning, but at the same time said how much they would miss the daily posts. I didn’t realize how many people were motivated by my stories and information!


I also didn’t realize how much I enjoy writing and sharing my life, its become a huge part of me.



It's like the child who decides to run away from home. They pack their little bag and walk to the end of their street. They turn around and look at their home, it doesn't look so bad now, and the wide open road in front looks a little daunting. Then they turn around and practically skip back home.
Today I have a story only, about my last couple days of training.  


Goals are everything to me, in fact, that’s really how I started competing.  It was several years ago when I was training with SC, and maybe, maybe someday I will even reveal his real name!
I told him I worked hard, real hard every day. I lifted, I improved, I pushed the sled, I swung the sledgehammer, I would diet and do every new exercise or program he gave me. And I had nothing to show for it, I mean other than a great physique. I needed something tangible, something that I could measure and assess my progress. I needed a goal.
So competing was how I would measure my successes.  That was back in 2008 when I made that decision, and I have thrived creating new goals for myself over and over again.


So now that I have made a firm decision to move into Women's Physique, I feel a new sense of excitement with my lifting.


Wednesday night when I met with Roy he said "German Volume Training, a new adventure!" I think he is excited too. GVT meant 10 sets of 10 squats (yes add it up- that's 100 squats) with 90 seconds rest in between. I think the weight is at 110 pounds, I should have paid more attention especially since I need to squat again on Saturday on my own. I quickly remember to shut up and stop talking during the rest periods, I haven't even caught my breath yet when it's time to go again.  And these are ass to ground, low squats...all....the....way....down...


Sweat is trickling down my back, and in between my butt cheeks...it's hot in there. My eyes are stinging as the sweat and make up drip in them, thank goodness I don't have a mirror in front of me. 


Then it's time to push the sled, 4 sets of three runs...I think, I think the weight added is 115 pounds...does that sound right? And the sled must weigh 45. 


I feel exhilarated afterward and I stay to chat with Roy, Isaac and his client about the best steak in town. I drink my post training shake as I think about steak.


Thursday I wake up and am ready to hit the hamstrings, I know they must be trained with heavy weight and low reps because of the type of muscle fiber they are.  Here is an explanation of the why:



If the load is still too heavy the Type 2B or fast-twitch muscle fibers get recruited and start to fire. These fibers are thicker and more powerful than the Type 2A’s. 2B’s fire only when the Type 1, and Type 2A’s are firing at their highest rate. Therefore when the Type 2B’s fire all of the types of muscle fibers are firing. These muscles fatigue the fastest but when they fire they create the most amounts of force. They fire under a load that is equivalent to a 90% of a maximal load or around a weight that you could lift for 1-6 reps. Some examples of muscles that tend to be more fast twitch are your Triceps, Hamstrings and the Gastrocnemius of the calf.



So, hammies must have heavy weight, low reps to develop. I know this and plan my workout accordingly. I watch a guy at the standing leg curl machine (one of my favorites!), using weight less than what I just did, and he is doing more than 15 reps, I just stopped counting. I want to tell him that his legs are skinny because of this, but I bite my tongue.


I always end on the Glute Ham Raise, the master of all equipment and I have my first  "girly" moment. I cannot loosen the knob that allows me to move the foot pad up, so I cannot use it. I ask the first guy closest if he can help, and he is wearing gloves! Ha Ha. I NEVER wear gloves, I used to but SC practically grabbed my chubby little cheeks with his huge hand once and looked me in the eye and said "Lift like a man! No gloves in my weight room!"


So this guy tries to loosen the knob, and cannot do it. So another guy comes over and they discuss it. I can see he is turning the wrong direction, but I am a bit hesitant to say anything, after all, I did ask him for help. Then a third guy comes over and tells them to get a 10 pound plate a whack it. The first guy does and I have to chime in. "I think that will work, but I think you may need to whack the other side....I think you might be tightening it...you know "righty tighty, lefty loosey". They all stop and look at me like I am from Mars and start laughing, then he whacks in the other direction and Bingo!, knob loosened.


Thank goodness as everyone was starting to stare, we were making quite a ruckus.


I finished my training, and walked out feeling high as a kite. My quads were sore from Wednesday and I knew my hams would be sore soon too, everything is going according to plan.


I am looking forward to my new goal. The eating will be modified....more calories, but not too much, it will take some experimentation. I have time, and all of the enthusiasm anyone could wish for!


So I am back, but reserve the right to miss a day here and again! Keep emailing and sharing your accomplishments and struggles with me, I love to listen, and thanks for understanding!















3 comments:

  1. haha...this is funny because 1) I always wear gloves, my hands hurt otherwise and I have a better grip (yeah, I'm a cupcake) and 2) I always struggle with that damn knob on the glute/ham raise machine too!! I fiddle with it a good 10 minutes before I have it where I want it. Good thing no one ever seems to use it while I'm there.

    What is a good low rep range for hams? 6 reps ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte, I know lots of people who wear gloves, men and women, but I won't! Not after what was drilled into my head by SC. I dio use lifting straps to maintain the grip on the bar for heavy deadlifts and RD:'s though.

    Take a weight plate and whack the GHR!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete