Friday, April 27, 2012

Nutrient Timing


I was corresponding with one of my blog readers and she asked about a book that discussed nutrient timing and I recommended this. I then dug it up and started reading it again, I often read books several times and always come away with something new each time.


This book is entitled Nutrient Timing by John Ivy, Ph.D., & Robert Portman, Ph.D. and has a foreword by William Kraemer, Ph.D. It is a great resource for anyone interested in bringing their training and nutrition to the next level.


As I have said many times, I trained for several years but never really made impressive changes in my physique until I started eating properly, and it's not just which foods but when you eat them that matters. 


It does take time to learn to eat properly, it's not something that just happens overnight.  They teach you what happens physiologically when you exercise, so you better understand why you need the specific nutrients they recommend. 


Discussions include how to avoid a catabolic state, how to elevate an anabolic state, and how to promote muscle growth. 


Supplementation, macronutrients and micronutrients are all covered Susan Kleiner, Ph.D., R.D., F.A.C.N, C.N.S has a chapter with tables to help you calculate your own food plan.


They discuss the science behind the now well accepted fact that post training recovery should be a ratio of 4:1 (carbs to protein) for maximum growth and replenishment of muscle glycogen. 


Insulin, cortisol and glucose uptake are explained in a manner that is easy to understand.


My book is dog eared- I think you can see the top right corner, and I will probably read it a few more times again. 


It's well worth the $10.00 you will spend on it, buy it now!


If you have not yet completed my very short survey, please take the time to do that now, I appreciate it!


5 comments:

  1. I work at a university and before I buy a book, I always check first to see if they have it in our library. Anyway, when I checked for this one, I found the more recently published (2010) "Nutrient Timing for Peak Performance."

    http://www.amazon.com/The-Nutrient-Timing-Peak-Performance/dp/0736087648

    I've only briefly reviewed it, but was already impressed with the info, planning tools, templates, etc. You might want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent research Phil! I will definitely check this out! I am thinking I shall read it while lingering over a croissant and coffee at my favorite French Bakery in town! ha ha ha

      Delete
    2. Yea, well just make sure you time it properly! LOLOL!!!

      Delete
    3. That a girl! That means driving directly from the gym and sitting at the cafe. Protein first! So I am guessing a whey drink on the way to the cafe, then sit and have the croissant!

      Delete
  2. Uh, uh, uh....Competition first. Croissant later!

    ReplyDelete