Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas

It's Christmas day, the one day I do not go to the gym. My gym is closed! I would go if they were open though.


I could actually do something like sprints at the track across the street, but let's put things into perspective, I have a child and although he may be 17, Christmas morning is still special to him. Just like this is the one day I skip the gym, it's the one day he gets his butt out of bed early! I can't run in the dark and I can't very well hold up everyone to get one workout in when I have 364 other days to do it right?


Tradition, tradition!

So just what does a self proclaimed fitness freak do on Christmas day? Well, I can guarantee you that many, many other folks are fulfilling their fitness needs and staying with their program, while I am not doing that. It's not that our family is religious and has to go to church, but we do have our family traditions.

Christmas Eve started out with a mysterious email from a woman researching her family tree on the Wilce side. Could we possibly be related? I had fun emailing back, half of my house is furnished with Wilce antiques, and I have old china, jewelry, silver, pictures, and even a bible from 1889! I took some photos to send her chronicling births, deaths, marriages. Her family comes from Scranton, just where all my belongings came from, this should be a very interesting relationship!


Then in the late morning Virginia stopped by to deliver duck fat. She stayed for sparkling wine and then Mark, (wondering where his wife was for so long) pulled up and brought oysters and more sparkling wine. I did my prep as we all talked and laughed.


Late in the afternoon Stacy stopped by. She brought homemade cookies from a recipe her mother used to make, wine, chocolate, a roast (for later) and we talked. 


Christmas Eve the family came to my house and I made Prime Rib, Yorkshire Pudding, Roast Potatoes, Gravy, Peas and Salt Caramel cupcakes. I took over the family holidays many years ago when my mother decided she had done it long enough. I don't mind, I enjoy cooking quite a bit and can make whatever I like for myself if I don't want to indulge in all of the other stuff! My mom passed away a few years ago, and she is missed, especially at the family gatherings. We will always laugh and tell some funny story about her though. 

Lauren came by and gave us a gift she made. It was an ingenious idea, wine glasses with a special black chalkboard paint on the bottom foot portion of the glass, so you can write your name on the glass! She included a small container of chalk too. 

Christmas morning Cooper will open his gifts, David and I don't give gifts to each other, we found through the years that it has helped us to actually enjoy the season and reduces stress. Our gift to each other is our annual trip to Mexico in February.

We then hop into the car and drive to my father in laws for the day and night. My mother in law passed away in February so this will be our first Christmas without her. We will be going out to dinner and this will be the first time in my 50 years I have eaten dinner out on Christmas, another first. 

We will come home on Monday and I will be training with Roy on Tuesday instead of Monday so I will hit the gym on Monday afternoon when I get home. 


My holiday is and was special for many reasons. 


Virginia, who just stops by and delivers a much needed item, because she knows I need it and decides to bring it to me instead of me driving to her.


Lauren, for being so thoughtful and actually creating something with us in mind. She put a lot of thought into our gift.


And Stacy. She wont be eating the cookies, but she made them knowing we would love them. We have grown into each other, I think it's the best way to say it. It is hard to create new friendships as you become older. People are paired off, or very much into work and just don't have time for relationships. We have known each other for 8 months, but in those 8 months we have learned more about each other and about ourselves than most people will learn in a lifetime.


I feel very fortunate for the wonderful people in my life. 

However you celebrate, enjoy the time with friends or family and as my husband says to my son EVERY SINGLE TIME HE WALKS OUT THE DOOR:

Be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment