Thursday, October 6, 2011

Spiced Fig Preserves



I had lots of ripe figs and I could not eat any fruit at the time (pre competition). Bleh!

Figs are my absolute favorite and I did not want to miss this crop, so I had to do something. I froze some to add them to oatmeal later in a week or so, but I ccould not do that with all of them. I decided to make my fig jam, it is wonderful on toast, on meats, on a spoon! David likes it on toasted whole wheat with goat cheese and the preserves on top.

This is easy to make and it keeps in the refrigerator for 2 months, no canning required!


1 1/2 pounds ripe figs, halved (about 4 cups)
1/2 a large lemon, thickly sliced, seeded (do not peel!)
1 cup Splenda, or other sweetener (or sugar if not concerned about calories)
1 3 inch piece cinnamon stick
1 1/4 teaspoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Finely chop the lemons in a food processor. Add figs. Using on/off turns, process until figs are coarsely pureed. Transfer mixture to a heavy saucepan. Add Splenda or sugar, cinnamon stick, ginger and cloves. Simmer until mixture thickens to jam consistency and candy thermometer registers 200 degrees Fahrenheit, stirring often, about 20 minutes. 

Discard cinnamon stick, divide hot jam into hot, clean jars. Cover tightly and refrigerate up t o 2 months.


Makes about 3 1/2 cups.

Posted by Picasa

This is a stunning recipe for figs, all fig lovers must try this! It is from Bon Appetit magazine, October 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment