Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday Morning Motivation



Many times I have read that it is important to surround myself with positive energy, with people who have like goals, people who embrace the importance of health and fitness. 

It is true, many studies have been done to prove this is what makes us successful - you have heard the term before: "Birds of a feather flock together".

If your friends all sit around drinking beer and eating chips, either you will end up joining in on their activities, or you will probably end up separating yourself from the group, you just won't have the same attraction for the events that they do. This doesn't mean you cannot have friends like this, but your connection just won't be the same, you won't spend as much time together as you used to.

I met a woman at the club a while back, we talked a few times, we are similar in many ways. We both manage our food for health reasons, we are type "A", busy lives, same age, love to train, and have been doing it for years. 


We would chat on the stairmill once in a while, and I gave her my card and invited her to take a look at my blog, she might find it interesting.


I am not a private person, so what happens to me is known round the world! Stacy was reading my blog, I could tell from her comments.

A while ago as I got into my car, Stacy was driving by and popped her head out the window and said we should get together for coffee after the gym one day.

Today was that day. We sat in my backyard in the sun, sipping water talking about past trainers, loves, weight training, parents, grass fed beef, carbs, supplements, diets, passions, dislikes, wine and more training.

I had a wonderful time connecting with someone who has such an avid interest in the same things I do. I can tell we will have a lot of fun this summer, she likes to cook too!

The whole point of this story is that it takes just one person to reach out, to take the initiative to say "hi, let's do something" and people don't do that enough, we all miss out because of this. We don't take the time to connect.

After she left, I sat in the backyard eating lunch with David (another Greek salad loaded with chicken) and I remarked "I feel like I am supposed to be doing something, something is nagging at me". Then I realized, I rarely sit around and do nothing, just visit and talk, it was wonderful, Stacy gave me back relaxation that I had taken from myself.

"R" emailed and wants to sit by the pool at the club and have some wine next Sunday, (yes, my club serves wine), and that will be another great time connecting with a friend. We will leave the fathers to their own devices on fathers day!

Start something good, take the time to connect, you will be a better person for it.

"You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great."

Zig Ziglar
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment