Thursday, May 5, 2011

Rowing


I used to row quite a bit- on a Concept 2 rower. 30 minutes a day 5 days a week, and then I started doing it 60 minutes a day, 3 days a week.  I stopped when I began competing in Figure, my back was too broad.

The picture above was taken several years ago, I was doing that as an exercise for my traps and abs, not regular rowing. 

I have always loved rowing, and I think that it is one of the best overall workouts you can do. I think the last time I rowed was about 2 years ago.

But that is all gonna change.

I am fortunate to live a few miles from Lexington Reservoir, home of Los Gatos Rowing Club. They have adult "Learn to row" programs, where you receive 10 hours of on water instruction, and get to experience rowing as it really occurs, on the water, with other rowers.

I am so on it!


Here is the program description:

Our sweep-rowing Learn-to-Row Program is designed to introduce adults to the sport of sweep rowing (each rower has one oar).  Each session meets 5 times (for a total of 10 hours) at the boathouse.  At the mandatory orientation session, you will be introduced to the boathouse and equipment, rowing terminology, safety procedures, and learn proper rowing technique on 'Concept 2' indoor rowing machines.  After that, you're on the water!

Rowing will be learned in an 8-person boat where each person has one oar.  In each boat there will be a maximum of 5 or 6 participants and 2-3 experienced rowers.  There will be one coach assigned to each boat.   Participants must be able to swim (a swim waiver is required), and lift 30 lbs overhead.


Which session?

SESSION 4:  July 16, 17, 23 and 24 - 8:30-10:30 a.m. (Saturday/Sunday)*

  * There is a mandatory orientation on Thurs., July 14, 6-8 p.m. at the boathouse



Any one want to join me? It should be nice in July!

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment