Saturday, October 9, 2010

Oats and Fruit


Posted by PicasaI am looking forward to changing my diet now that I am not preparing for a competition.  It's funny when I talk to people and tell them I am trying to add muscle, most believe that means you can "eat whatever you want, and as much of it as you want".

It really couldn't be further from the truth.

To gain lean muscle mass, and avoid gaining a great deal of fat, you still need to eat a clean diet of the same foods you eat during a competition prep, but just not as strict and a few more calories, but not much.

Above is the change I will make to my breakfast now. It is the same serving of steel cut oats and flax seed. I have added one thing though , on the left is cut up figs (still a few on my tree!) and on the right is currents.

Yup, that's it, I added some fruit. Fruit is typically removed from a competition diet as it is sugar, plain and simple. When you are trying to lose weight there are a few things you do, reduce caloric intake, and reduce saturated fats and sugars. 

One of the first things I ate after my competition was a banana and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I have also been hankering for some fruit on my oatmeal and now I get that too. 

I will strive to stay close to a very clean diet for the next few months, but will enjoy some meals out and meals with my family that I haven't been able to enjoy for the last couple months.
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. I've got some flax seed here, but I've never been sure about how much to consume. I mean, I know it has lots of good stuff in it, but it's also very caloric, isn't it? And is it true that you should grind it yourself just before consuming, because otherwise it would lose nutrients?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is high in calories but it is one of those must have fats like avocado, seeds, nuts, olive oil, peanut butter. I eat 1 tablespoon a day. You do not have to grind it immediately just purchase it ground then store it in the refrigerator.

    Your body cannot process or utilize any of the nutrients if it is whole, so get the ground for sure!

    ReplyDelete