Friday, August 6, 2010

Steak Salad



I had this for lunch today, it is one of my favorite salads, but I find myself writing about so many other favorite foods, I guess I do enjoy a lot of them!

My husband dubbed this "clean out the fridge salad" today, and I think it was an appropriate term, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I was craving steak salad yesterday so I pulled some flank steak out of the freezer and had  David quickly grill it while he made dinner. Then I left it in the fridge overnight.

At lunch time I pulled all of my left over cooked vegetables out of the refrigerator and also the fresh ones I was craving.

It is fine to eat as many vegetables as you like, it's the protein and starchy carbs that need to be monitored. So the first thing I do is decide on the starch that I  will use as that needs to be weighed. My girlfriend dropped off some sugar snap peas (yes those are a starch!) and I wanted to use those. I also had a small amount of grilled plain corn that had been cut off the cob.

I would make two salads, one for today and one for tomorrow.

I weighed out 4 ounces of corn  and sugar snap peas (combined together 4 ounces per salad) and put that into each dish. Then I weighed out 4 ounces of cubed steak in each dish. I was then free to fill the dishes up with whatever I wanted!

In went two wedges of grilled radicchio, cut into large julienne, one cucumber cut into large chunks, one cut up tomato, a big handful of cilantro leaves, a couple canned  green Ortega chiles, cubed; a red bell pepper cut in chunks and I tossed it all together.


A generous grinding of black pepper, and fat free vinaigrette (recipe below). As a special treat, I add 2 tablespoons of low fat blue cheese dressing. 2 tablespoons has 70 calories, and adds an amazing amount of richness that compliments the beef and vinegar.

It was huge, I loved it and even with the small amount of blue cheese it was still wonderfully healthy (and I used all the left over vegetables in the fridge!)

Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp grainy mustard
1 packet of splenda
a few grindings of pepper

Combine ingredients in a small jar, shake well. Adjust seasonings and use as much as you like!




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment