Saturday, May 1, 2010

I never said it was easy



I was talking to my father the other day about my posts here and he told me that my regime is fairly rigorous, and perhaps rather demanding for most people. I thought about it for a while and I suppose he is right.

I never said it was easy, if it were, then the vast majority of the population wouldn't be overweight or even obese.

It is quite difficult at times, but as I always say, we put effort into what is important to us, and if it's not important, we can easily make excuses as to why we don't need to do it.

At every competition I look around and I think "wow, look at all of these beautiful bodies! Where are these people every day? I certainly don't see them at my gym, at work or at the grocery store!"

The bodybuilder or figure competitor is not your average person, and there just aren't that many people out there willing to stick to the lifestyle that long, it is hard, not only for the competitor but for their loved ones, they live part of the lifestyle whether they want to or not. This is something I always try to remember, and unfortunately sometimes I forget and it comes up when it's a problem.

I certainly don't want to discourage anyone, but I do want to be honest about what it takes. My stories and posts are certainly not all about competing, and you don't have to have an interest in competing to learn from me, you can still glean bits and pieces to take away to be a healthier version of yourself, although it is a bit comforting to know that at least some people recognize that it takes a great deal of hard work and dedication to achieve this.

I am stopped at least once a week by someone who comments on my physique, they usually ask if I am a bodybuilder because when I am not competing, I get a lot bigger and more muscular. I never knew what to say about that until a couple months ago and I started saying "yes I am"...people seem to understand that best, so I find it the easiest explanation as to why I look "freaky" to them.

Then there are those who want a personal training lesson while standing in line at the grocery store, or advise on how to get rid of belly fat. I don't mind offering advise, in fact I feel quite complimented that I am asked, but I really cannot help much in the matter of 5 minutes, it just is not that easy.....

4 comments:

  1. I certainly have never thought that you looked "freaky" at all. Quite the opposite. Well, when you are super-tanned and standing on stage flexing, that might be one look, but when you are just hanging around casually with a glass of sparkling something in your hand, that's another. I always tell my friends quite proudly, "Yes, my sister is seven years older than me, but if she walks into a room she's the sexiest woman there!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That is a wonderful compliment. I do think that women who have muscles seems very freaky to many people, but I have met just as many who think it looks great, too.

    And I would love to be standing here with that glass of something sparkling! Soon....

    ReplyDelete
  3. May 22. And depending on where I place, it will be at approximately 9:30 pm or 11:00 pm.

    Unfortunately it will be Sofia in a can, but that's all i can take with me and keep cold for a while in my car, but as soon as I get home (it's only a half hour drive), I understand that David has some nice champagne and wine for me.

    ReplyDelete