Saturday, May 29, 2010

Coach "P"


If you have been following my posts, you know my son plays varsity lacrosse, he lives for lacrosse.

I am writing this on Friday evening. One of his coaches, Coach "P" died today, he was 21 years old.

As a mother I cannot even fathom the depth of pain that the family has been through. Although I lost my own mother to cancer only a year ago, the thought of losing a child is something I cannot even begin to imagine.

Coach "P" was a presence, a huge impact on many lives. He volunteered his time to coach young men in a sport he loved.

He died as a result of a weight lifting accident.

I am having a difficult time explaining it all to my son. He doesn't understand, I don't understand, none of us do, how could this happen? The tears have not stopped, at least not for long. We all walk around like zombies, repeating the same thing, feeling the same pain, but oh so alone in it all.

I am not going to go into details, I only need, and want to say that he was a wonderful, intelligent man and something didn't go right, he got hurt.

Hug your children, tell them you love them, forgive their errors, remember the small gestures, cherish the moments. They may be taken away before you have a chance to savor them.

Coach "P"- we love you and thank you. Coop says you are the best "bro" he has ever known.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry to hear about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a difficult funeral, I have never seen so many young people at one before, but the speakers were wonderful and told amazing stories about him. It makes you wonder how someone so young can pack so much into such a short life, but he did! The entire Varsity lacrosse team attended, even those who had left the team at the start of the season, and they all wore their jerseys in his honor.

    ReplyDelete