Sunday, April 11, 2010

Monday's Salad




I have to be in an all day meeting tomorrow in another office so I plan my food ahead of time, bringing things I don't need to heat or prepare. I have made salad for lunch and afternoon meals.

I combined some of yesterdays roasted vegetables, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, mushrooms, beets, with raw carrots, celery, a little romaine, cucumber and a small sprinkle of slivered almonds. Mix it all together.

In your salad/storage/serving bowl add 4 ounces of cooked, cubed chicken and 4 ounces of beans then add the salad, dress when ready to eat, just pour on dressing, snap on lid and shake like crazy.

Above is a saute pan full of chicken tenders, I think they are great in salad, I saute them in a non-stick pan in a very tiny bit of coconut oil, salt and pepper. You can use a little marinade if you are not competing, and/or in the off season. After they are cooked just through, let cool and then cube into the size pieces you like.

Weigh out the correct portion, do not guess!

You absolutely must have a starch (beans, oats, rice, quinoa, potato) with your meals along with protein and your vegetables. I will talk more about protein and starches (carbs) separately.

9 comments:

  1. ¿Qué son los "chicken tenders"? ¿Son trozos de pechuga de pollo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Si ellos son las pechugas de pollo, pero ellos son los extra piezas son muy largo y flaco. Entiendo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sí, entiendo. No sé cómo se llamarán aquí en Catalunya...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well then let me try in English..when you buy a chicken breast here it usually has a long, thin strip running along the back that is barely attached and it is almost like a mini tenderloin. This is a chicken tender.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! Still, I don't know what those are called here and if they are sold separately. I shall look for them. Oh wait, now that I think of it I have seen something called "lomo de pechuga de pollo", and that does indeed mean "chicken loin". Perhaps that is it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think those may be the exact same thing, they would be almost as long as the chicken breast and about 1/2 to 1 inch wide. Let me know! They are good, tey don't seem to dry out like a whole breast because they cook so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought a whole bunch of chicken tenders today. Tomorrow I shall fry them up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made them! I marinaded them in something you had suggested to me: miso, garlic, red-pepper flakes, a bit of sesame oil, and water. They were delicious! Still, they didn't come out as beautiful and glistening as in the photo up above.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah miso, I love miso! Trying to avoid it right now due to the extra carbs though. So you can get the same thing in Spain? They are definately more tender than the whole breast, maybe due to the fast cooking time.

    ReplyDelete